Results 1 to 10 of 18
05-23-2009 #1I am:----
- Join Date
- Jan 2008
- Tournaments Joined
- Tournaments Won
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- Rep Power
Acer One D150-1055 personal review
I just purchased an Acer One D150-1055 netbook.
CPU: 1.6-GHz Intel Atom N270
RAM/Expandable to: 1GB/2GB
Hard Drive Size/Speed: 160GB/5,400 rpm
Display/Resolution: 10 inches/1024 x 600
Weight: 2.8 pounds
Price as Reviewed: $349.00 (Price I paid in Canada, I believe this price was American)
Just thought I'd do a little personal review on this little guy. First off, I own a gamer's desktop and a gamers laptop and I understand this netbook won't appeal to everyone. Now for a little background, I work 12 hour shifts as a Correctional Officer and when I work night shifts they just kill me. I hate them and they bore me completely, with the only break in monotony when I tour through the "ranges" trying not to notice the male on male "action". :-X
Many of my fellow Officers bring their personal DVD players to pass the time but from what I've seen, even the more expensive ones don't have the visual quality I've become accustomed to at home. I do have an iTouch which I've loaded countless movies and tv shows onto, but it's hard to hear when your partner is in the chair next to you snoring. (Headphones are a bad idea in a Prison!)
So when I heard about the netbooks that were coming out I became interested. I figured... why spend $250 on a personal dvd player when I get so much more for a $100 more. I did my research and I found the one that I wanted yesterday at Bestbuy. After a day of use, I'm extremely impressed with this little guy. Battery life is decent, I watched "Valkyrie" all the way through and had 10 minutes remaining on the battery. My model came with a 3 cell battery, but I purchased a 6 cell battery online which should give me 5 to 7 hours depending on usage!
It comes preloaded with Windows XP, one of Windows most stable operating systems to date and after removing most of the bloatware it came with, it's a speedy little demon! Boot up is less than 30 seconds, which even my Gaming computers have never achieved out of the box and shutdown time was less than 15 seconds. Ergonomically this Acer One is a little wanting, I have big hands and it shows when I type, but I think I've gotten the hang of it now. The touchpad is super small, and should only be used in a pinch. The right and left touchpad buttons are really tough to push so plugging a wireless mouse into one of three USB ports is highly recommended. The wireless is flawless, and much faster than my 5 year old Dell XPS laptop which has an external wireless card! This model does not have a dvd-drive, for obvious reasons, but if you are into movies, we live in a digital age and it's simple to load them on. I used my external 1TB drive and put my entire seasons of Seinfeld, Prison break and The Office... including 30-40 700MB movies on it. I have 3GB's of room left.
Additionally, I downloaded Skype to it and the webcam and mic work great! I have the $30 a year Skype plan that lets me call any land line or cellphone in North America. Should be interesting to see if I can Skype my Brazilian Friend in San Paulo Brazil from work. ;D
Anyway... I am extremely pleased with this netbook, the picture is crystal clear. It's not a everyday number cruncher by any means, but if you travel a lot or have a job like mine with down time than I highly recommend this product. I've probably left something crucial out, but just ask and I'll fill you in.
<br /><br /><br />[size=13pt]We lead from Knowledge, yet Faithful in Adversity: not for one's self but for one's People. But we in it shall be remembered, we few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers.[/size]
By Commander Fury in forum Blog - Urgent Fury UnleashedReplies: 0Last Post: 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
By bizzyb0t in forum Playstation 3Replies: 112Last Post: 06-08-2011, 01:01 AM
By Shane in forum Blog - Urgent Fury UnleashedReplies: 0Last Post: 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
By SEQUOYAH in forum Playstation 3Replies: 16Last Post: 08-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Keep it clean, continued abuse in the chat will result in a ban from the chat and infractions issued.
The MGC Chatbox Evo is really easy to use
You can :
You can :
- Send chats : you just have to enter the text in the dedicated input field and then to validate it by pushing the return key ou by clicking on the OK button.
- Format the chats : once you un-collapse the chatbox formatting toolbar by clicking on the BBCode button, you have access to different formatting options for your chats. You can format a chat by selecting a part (or the totality) of it and then select one of the buttons/list. You can also add empty formatting tags by selecting nothing and clicking one of the buttons/menu thus allowing you to add the chat text afterwards between these tags.*
- Access to the different channels : you can have access to different channels restricted to only some usergroupds or for specifics use of the chatbox. The different channels are accessible from the buttons on the left of the chatbox.*
- Edit your chats (or others chats) : the edition of a chat can be done by a simple double-click on it.*
- Use specific commands : some commands can be accessible in the chatbox depending on the will of the administrator(s) of your forum. These commands let you execute specific actions of formatting, management, etc... You will herebelow the information on the command which are accessible to you. You must notice that you are not forced to use the command prefixes (/command_name) when you use them in the channel they are attached to (except in the general channel).*